Every time these type of stats are released London features heavily. We’ve come to expect our fair city to appear a number of times in the list – after all, there are eight million people here.
As anticipated, Hackney is on there, as is Gipsy Hill. But wait – what’s that at #2 and #3? Herne Hill and Muswell Hill?
The figures came from MoneySupermarket.com, which took 3.1 million home insurance quotes and looked at the people who had reported being burgled before.
The top 20 burglary hotspots by postcode in the UK
1. M21 (Chorlton-cum-Hardy; Barlow Moor, Manchester) 45.2
2. SE24 (Herne Hill; Tulse Hill (part), London) 41.8
3. N10 (Muswell Hill, London) 40.9
4. RM8 (Dagenham; Becontree; Becontree Heath, London) 35.9
5. N2 (East Finchley; Fortis Green; Hampstead Garden Suburb (part), London) 34.5
6. L18 (Allerton; Mossley Hill, Liverpool) 33.3
7. L22 (Waterloo, Liverpool) 32.6
8. N18 (Upper Edmonton; Edmonton (part), London) 32.3
9. UB6 (Greenford; Perivale, London) 30.9
10. SE27 (West Norwood; Gipsy Hill (part), London) 30.5
11. B73 (Boldmere; New Oscott; Wylde Green, Birmingham) 29.5
12. E8 (Hackney Central; Dalston; London Fields, London) 29.4
13. DN2 (Intake; Wheatley; Wheatley Hills, Doncaster) 28.7
14. N20 (Whetstone; Totteridge; Oakleigh Park, London) 28.0
15. E9 (Homerton; Hackney Wick; South Hackney; Hackney Marshes; Victoria Park, London) 27.8
16. N11 (New Southgate; Friern Barnet; Bounds Green; Arnos Grove (part), London) 27.7
17. N16 (Stoke Newington; Stamford Hill (part); Shacklewell; Dalston (part); Newington Green (part), London) 27.7
18. LS16 (Adel, Bramhope; Cookridge; Eccup; Far Headingley; Holt Park; Ireland Wood; Lawnswood; Moor Grange; Tinshill; Weetwood; West Park, Leeds) 27.6
19. B24 (Erdington; Tyburn, Birmingham) 27.6
20. HP10 (High Wycombe; Flackwell Heath; Handy Cross; Hedsor; Loudwater; Penn; Tylers Green; Wooburn; Wooburn Green; Wooburn Moor, Buckinghamshire) 27.3