Home Property A beginners guide to the Gas Safe Certificate

A beginners guide to the Gas Safe Certificate

by John Saunders
5th Nov 20 5:35 pm

Learn more about the process and the pricing near your area.

So what exactly is a gas safe certificate?

The gas safe certificate, which is also commonly known as a landlord’s gas safety record or even a CP12, is the routine inspection of fuel burning appliances within a residential property.

What are the legal requirements?

Whether you legally require a gas safe certificate or not will depend on what you plan to do with your property. If you are a private homeowner, there is currently no legal requirement for you to have the inspection. However, having the test carried out will give you the peace of mind that your fuel burning appliances are fit for purpose and safe to use.

If you plan to rent the property, then you are legally required to provide a valid gas certificate before you can move in new tenants. If you let the property through an estate agent, they will need to be provided with a copy of the certificate before they are able to move new tenants in. For private rentals it is the responsibility of the landlord.

If you want to sell your property, you are not legally required to provide your buyers with a certificate (although it is often requested).

What does the inspection involve?

A standard gas safety inspection involves an engineer will check all of the gas appliances on the premises to ensure they are fit for purpose and safe to use. The key checkpoints of the inspection are as follows;

  • Checking of the chimneys and flues for any signs of blockage. Sometimes the engineer will use smoke pellets and trace how much of the smoke escapes the flue. If any returns to the origin, the flue is likely blocked and needs to be cleared.
  • Check the gas connections and infrastructure to ensure that the gas supply is delivering gas safely and directly to your gas appliances. The engineer will check if all connections follow safety regulations.
  • Checking of the ventilation and oxygen supply. The gas safe engineer will check if enough oxygen is supplied to correctly burn gas.
  • Check all of the gas appliances. The engineer lists manufacturer and model information for each gas appliance. They will test how they work and if they burn gas correctly, as per the manufacturer’s instructions.

Which appliances do they need to check?

When you book in for a gas safe certificate you will be asked to state how many appliances you need to have checked. An appliance is considered to be one which burns fuel (such as a gas or LPG boiler, gas hob/cooker or a gas fireplace). Many people have a gas boiler and a gas hob/cooker, in this case, you would need to book an inspection for two appliances.

How long should it take?

Typically, an inspection will take around 30-45 minutes although this will vary depending on how many appliances need to be checked, how easy they are to access and if there are any issues detected throughout the checks..

How long is the certificate valid for?

The gas safe certificate is valid for one year only. It is recommended that landlords keep records of at least the previous two years of certificates.

Who can issue the certificate?

Your inspection must be carried out by an engineer registered with the Gas Safe Register (which was previously known as CORGI). Before you allow anyone to carry out work in your home it is recommended to check their Gas Safe ID card.

Can I fail the inspection?

Sometimes just having an inspection carried out at the property is sometimes not enough as it is possible to fail the inspection. If the engineer detects any issues, they might have to turn off and disconnect the specific appliance. Your gas safe certificate will be marked that the appliance is ‘not safe to use’. You will need to have remedial works carried out in order to fix the issue and have a valid certificate issued.

What happens if I don’t get one?

Landlords can face serious consequences for failing to comply with Gas Safety regulations, these could include:

  • A fine of up to £6,000 per breach and/or six months imprisonment;
  • Your insurance could be invalidated due to non-compliance; and
  • Where there is loss of life, the guilty party could be charged with manslaughter.

How can I book a gas safe certificate?

Now that you know the basics on gas safety, the next step is to know where you can book yours for the best possible price! Thankfully, the answer is simple – Just get in touch with MyConstructor. Their price comparison booking platform site lets you find gas safe registered engineers in your area and the most competitive rates. Just enter your postcode, number of appliances and book online, 24/7! myconstructor.co.uk

Leave a Comment

You may also like