Employees were told to take the day off. When they returned, the pub had been destroyed
Developers who tore down an historic London pub to make way for a residential development have been ordered to rebuild the entire pub brick by brick.
The council is believed to be set to issue the firm which owns the Carlton Tavern in Maida Vale, with a demand to โrecreate in facsimile the building as it stood immediately prior to its demolitionโ.
Westminster council, which rejected a planning application in January to replace the popular pub with a block of flats, has said it will move to protect the pub by listing it as a non-designated heritage asset, according to the Evening Standard. This means it will be protected from future demolition.
The owners, Tel Aviv-based developers CLTX Ltd, will also be prevented from selling the property until the restoration is complete.
Last month CLTX Ltd told the staff working at the pub to stay at home for the day while an โinventoryโ was being taken. When the manager returned the next day, the pub had been reduced to a pile of rubble.
Robert Davis, deputy leader of Westminster council, described the demolition as โscandalousโ, and said he had been โabsolutely horrifiedโ by the turn of events.
Itโs thought to be the first time a local council has demanded that a destroyed building be completely be reconstructed.
The move follows a protest and petition to have the pub rebuilt.
BRENT: Protesters demand historic Kilburn pub Carlton Tavern is rebuilt http://t.co/HzYMuz3R3A#London
โ London News (@DaiIyLONDON) April 27, 2015
ย
Now read

The Mili-brand interview – Brand becomes a Miliband fan
ย

Infographic: The 5 worst European cities for commuter stress
ย

Pollsters at loggerheads over election outcome
ย

Commuting in London is more stressful than work or visiting the dentist
ย





Leave a Comment